Gallbladder Disease in Connecticut
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
The gallbladder is an organ in the body that holds and releases bile to aid in breakdown foods during digestion. Gallbladder disease is a term used to describe a collection of problems and conditions that negatively affect the gallbladder. These concerns involve:
- Cholecystitis: An inflammatory response in the gallbladder that is frequently caused by gallstones. Over time, the gallbladder can diminish in size and lose the capacity to release bile.
- Acalculous gallbladder disease: When the gallbladder develops inflammation in the absence of gallstones.
- Choledocholithiasis: A gallstone is trapped in the exit route of the gallbladder. When this forms, the gallbladder can become inflamed.
- Sclerosing cholangitis: Ongoing damage and inflammation to the bile duct network that causes scar tissues to develop.
- Biliary dyskinesia: Decreased gallbladder function
- Gallstones: Solid stone-like particles that can occlude the path to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
If you experience a gallbladder condition like those listed above, we encourage you to have an expert gastroenterology provider guide you through your care. At Connecticut GI, we can ensure you get the guidance you require. To find care for gallbladder disease in Connecticut, please contact one of our office locations near you today to request an appointment.
What causes gallbladder disease?
A majority of problems with the gallbladder come from the development of gallstones, which occur when cholesterol and other materials found in liver bile coagulate and form hard stone-like pieces. A patient may also have tumors that prevent the bile from emptying appropriately, infection, or blood vessel concerns. No matter the source of gallbladder disease, you can receive expert treatment at a Connecticut GI location near you. Our providers can evaluate your gallbladder problem and help you find the appropriate option for treatment.
What are the symptoms of gallbladder disease?
Many patients may present symptoms of gallbladder disease before being formally diagnosed. Symptoms of gallbladder disease involve:
- Throwing up
- Tenderness in the abdomen
- Significant abdominal pain, particularly in your upper right or center abdomen
- Pain that spreads to your right shoulder or back
- Feeling nauseous
If you notice any of the distressing digestive symptoms mentioned above, consult a Connecticut GI provider right away to request a consultation.
What are the treatments for gallbladder disease?
The best strategy to minimize the chance of developing gallstones is to maintain a healthy weight, lose weight slowly if necessary, and keep up with a healthy way of life. Certain gallbladder diseases can be detected through a standard ultrasound. In some cases, your specialist may suggest further images like an MRI or CT scan. If treatment for gallbladder disease is required, potential treatments could be:
- Medications to dissolve gallstones
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Pain relief medication
- Fasting for a certain time period (this can allow your inflamed gallbladder to rest and reduce inflammation)
If you or a family member need treatment for gallbladder disease in Connecticut, our team can help you consider your options for care.
Innovative treatment for gallbladder disease
Gallbladder concerns, such as gallstones, biliary dyskinesia, and cholecystitis, can be identified and managed by an expert GI provider with Connecticut GI. Should you exhibit troubling symptoms involving your gastrointestinal health, then it is essential for you to contact an experienced GI provider near you as soon as possible to be screened for conditions like gallbladder disease. As a physician-led network of gastroenterology specialists, we are well-equipped with the latest treatment options for people experiencing gallbladder disease. To locate an experienced gastroenterologist who can help treat your gallbladder disease in Connecticut, call a location in your area today.
The entire staff was courteous and positively reassuring. I felt safe and I had no issues while in their care. The crackers provided in recovery were very much appreciated.
Great experience ,friendly,courtious and professional staff.
Providing me with excellent medical and physical care. Thank you
I have been a patient of Dr Greenwald for many years. Always feel well cared for. Questions are always answered. Concerns are always addressed.
He spent a lot of time with me. He has a gift for simplifying complexity. He then provides directions in a straight forward, and easily remembered way. You know what to try and how to safely monitor the results.